When the amount of PM2.5 is at unhealthy level (i.e. more than 35 μg/m3), take the following steps to reduce exposure and protect you and your family's health:
- Stay indoor and if possible, close all windows and openings to stop polluted air from entering.
- If available, turn on an air purifier that is equipped with a HEPA filter. High Efficiency Particulate Air, or HEPA air filters are usually made of fiberglass. They are 99.97% effective at removing particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- If available, turn on an air conditioner to circulate air and cool down room temperature.
- When most or all windows are closed, do not burn candle, incense or operate devices that emit smoke or gas to prevent harmful particles and gas (such as carbon monoxide) from building up.
- If you must drive, get an air purifier for your car that comes with at least HEPA and activated carbon filters.
- If you must go outdoor, make it short and quick, and wear a N95 or higher face mask. (“N95” means it can filter at least 95% of particles that do not contain oil)
- If the air pollution is expected to last for many days, consider moving to an unaffected location.